Frequently asked questions

Visa and Certificate of Eligibility

Q1. What is a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE)?

A1. A CoE is a certificate that is required when applying for a visa at a Japanese embassy or consulate general. Usually, the applicant’s (e.g. a student or researcher’s) host institution in Japan prepares all of the required documents, submits the application, and receives the CoE copies on the applicant’s behalf.

Q2. How long does it usually take for a CoE to be issued after an application is submitted to the Immigration Bureau?

A2. CoEs for “Professor” and “Cultural Activities” status of residence are usually issued approximately two-to-three weeks after submission of the application, and “Student” status of residence takes approximately three-to-four weeks. It is advisable to prepare the required documentation well in advance, as it usually takes approximately three weeks in any case.

Q3. My spouse and children will accompany me to Japan. Can I ask KUISO to submit proxy applications for their CoEs?

A3. Yes, you can. The international service office will apply for their CoEs together with yours. Their CoEs will be for “Dependent” residence status. You will be required to provide us with an officially issued copy of your marriage certificate and birth certificates for all children.
Please note the following:
KUISO can only simultaneously submit CoE applications for a spouse and children in the following circumstances:
-The duration of their stay will exceed the period permitted by a short-term stay visa.
-The spouse/children will enter Japan at approximately the same time as the international student/researcher.

Q4. My parents/siblings/fiancé(e) will come to Japan to visit me. Can I ask KUISO to submit proxy applications for their CoEs?

A4. Unfortunately, only the spouse and children of an international student/researcher are legally eligible to enter Japan with “Dependent” resident status. Other persons should enter Japan with short-term stay visas.

Q5. I am currently in process of renewing my passport. Will my CoE application be suspended until I submit the new passport number?

A5. The new passport number is not required for the CoE application. Please be sure to notify us that your passport is currently in process of renewal.

Q6. We’d like to host an international researcher in our lab/office which is located outside of Kyoto prefecture. Can we ask you to submit a proxy application for their CoE?

A6. Yes, you can. Please submit the request through the online system.

Q7. I’d like to temporarily return to my home country. Do I need to obtain a new visa to re-enter Japan?

A7. Please apply for “Special Re-entry Permission.” Special Re-entry Permission enables you to re-enter Japan without obtaining a new visa provided your passport and residence card are valid, and you re-enter Japan within one year from the date of departure.
Note: if your approved period of residence will expire in less than one year after your departure from Japan, you must re-enter Japan before the expiration date of the approved period of residence.

Please refer to the following websites for further details.
Immigration Services Agency of Japan

Q8. I’m an international student and will take a leave of absence. Can I continue to stay in Japan with “Student” residence status?

A8. You are not permitted to stay in Japan with “Student” residence status during a leave of absence. You are required to leave Japan as soon as possible. If there are any specific reasons that you must remain in Japan, please consult with the Immigration Bureau before taking the leave of absence. Please note that KUISO cannot handle such matters.

Q9. I will graduate from the university in one week, but my status of residence is valid for a few more months. Can I engage in part-time work until the end of the approved period?

A9. No. International students lose their student status upon graduation.
“Permission to engage in activities other than those permitted under the status of residence” is applicable to the individual’s status as a student, and you will therefore not be able to engage in such activities (i.e. part-time work) once you have graduated and lost your student status.

Q10. My approved period of stay will end before the procedures to extend my of period of stay/change my status of residence is completed. Am I permitted to remain in Japan in such circumstances?

A10. A “grace period” may be applied when the processing time of such applications exceeds the expiration date of the period of stay. You may be granted permission to remain in Japan until the application is processed.
Please refer to the following websites for further details.:
Immigration Services Agency of Japan

Kyoto University International Houses

General Questions

Q1. How many people can reside together in a unit?

A1. Single room: one adult
Couple’s room: two adults and one child* under three years old
Family room: refer to the room rates for details
(*children under three years old on the day of arrival are not included in the number of residents)

Q2. Is it possible to change the allocated period of residence?

【Moving Out Early】
Please notify the House Office of the scheduled move-out date at least two weeks in advance.

Students: Non-extendable
Researchers: It may be possible to extend the tenancy period if residents intend to remain in the same unit. Please consult the House Office or International Service Office as soon as possible.
Total maximum tenancy period:
  • Shugakuin/Yoshida/Okazaki: one year.
  • Uji/Ohbaku: two years.
Q3. What is the eligibility for cohabitation family members?

A3. As a general rule, a resident's spouse and children are eligible to reside together with him/her in the International House.
Please consult to the International Service Office in advance if the resident's parents, siblings, or other family members intend to cohabit with the resident in order to provide support or assistance.

Q4. Can couples living together as if they are married (e.g. common-law marriage) apply?

A4. Couples will be requested to provide some documents to confirm their relations. Please note that we may not be able to accept the application if the relationship is not clear.

Q5. Do residents need to provide own bedding?

A5. No. The bedding set in each room includes a comforter, a comforter cover, a bed pad, sheets, a pillow, and a pillow case.
Children under three years old who need bedding sets are counted as one person, and rent must be paid for them.

Q6. What daily necessaries or appliances must residents prepare?

A6. Residents are required to provide for themselves all items such as cookware, tableware, soap, tooth brushes, towels, toilet paper, etc. Please be sure to take such items with you when you move out of the room or dispose of them appropriately.
Each house office has a vacuum cleaner, iron and scale, which you can use for free.

Q7. How to pay monthly rent and other necessary fees?

A7. The necessary fees vary depending on the International House. Please refer to the facility information for details:
[Kyoto University International Houses]

Okazaki Hyakumanben
Monthly rent Bank transfer (ATM available) *
Payment at convenience stores
Payment by credit card
Initial admission fee
Electricity Payment by credit card or by direct debit
(Residents of Yoshida International House must pay the electricity fee directly to the House Office in cash.)
At the method designated by management company
Internet access fees (Included in monthly rent) At the method designated by management company
Bedding rental fees
Water -

*: Residents are responsible for paying any bank transfer charges incurred.


  • On the move-in day, residents are not required to make any cash payments.
    A payment slip for the first month’s rent and an initial admission fee will be issued to residents after they have moved in. Residents must make the payment after receiving the slip.
  • The rent is calculated as below:
    Researcher residents: at a daily rate
    Student residents: on a per-month basis
  • In addition to the monthly rent, residents are billed for the cost of electricity used in their room. Residents of Yoshida International House must pay the electricity fee directly to the House Office in cash.
    Residents of all other International Houses must pay the requested amount to the Kansai Electric Power Company. The payment can be made by credit card or bank transfer (we recommend paying by credit card).
  • Residents in Okazaki and Hyakumanben International Houses must also pay for the Internet access fees and Bedding rental fees. In addition, residents in Okazaki International House must pay for the amount of water used in their room.
  • Every fee must be paid by its designated date (residents are responsible for paying any bank transfer charges incurred).
Q8. I received a successful result of my application. By when do I need to decide to accept the result or not?

A8. Kyoto University gives successful applicants a permission to reside in the unit at the allocated accommodation for the allocated tenancy period. Please therefore proceed with the procedure on the assumption that you will move in. If you need to cancel your application due to unavoidable circumstances, please notify us immediately.

Q9. Is there a cancellation fee if I cancel the application after getting an allocation?

A9. No. However, please do not simply apply and cancel just because there is no cancellation fee (the number of rooms at the International Houses is limited, so we will not be able to provide rooms to those who really need them).

Q10. Is there any procedure that new residents need to follow before moving in?

A10. Nothing in particular. Procedures will be completed after moving in. Please register your move-in schedule through the URL provided in the notification of application result at least two weeks before you move in.

Q11. Can visitors stay overnight?

A11. Visitors are not allowed to stay overnight in the International Houses and are requested to leave by 9 pm. In certain exceptional cases such as a resident’s illness, however, attending persons may stay overnight after obtaining permission from the house office.
Visiting family members of single room residents are requested to stay at other accommodation.
Couple rooms and family rooms may not be cohabited or shared with friends, fiancés, or companions.

Q12. Is it all right to send a baggage or package before moving in? Can the House Offices keep delivered luggage for new residents?

A12. For security reasons, the International House Offices cannot receive luggage or packages delivered for residents prior to their moving in. Please ensure that all deliveries of luggage or packages will arrive after your move-in date.

Q13. I have a car. Is there a parking space available in the International Houses?

A13. International houses do not provide parking spaces for cars. Please contract a nearby parking lot by yourself. There are designated areas for bicycles and motorcycles. Please obtain permission from the House Office if you would like to use.

Q14. Can I have /bring a pet with me?

A14. No pets are allowed in the International Houses.

Regarding Applications by Researchers

Q15. What is the eligibility?


  • The following Kyoto University employees are NOT eligible to apply for residence in the International Houses:
    - Professors, Associate Professors, Lecturers, Assistant Professors
    - Program-Specific Professors, Program-Specific Associate Professors, Program-Specific Lecturers, Program-Specific Assistant Professors
    - Regular Faculty Members, Visiting Lecturers, Part-Time Lecturers, etc.
  • Assistant Technical Staff and Assistant Teaching Staff are eligible.
Q16. When can a researcher start applying?

A16. Researchers may apply for tenancy in an International House from four months before their intended move-in date.
(e.g. Researchers who want to move in August are eligible to apply from April application.)

Q17. I want to move in early before my research starts. When can I move in? After my research ends, until when can I stay?

A17. The period in which researchers are eligible to stay at an International House is from one week before their period of study/research at Kyoto University to one week after.

Q18. I applied this month, but it was not successful. Can I apply again?

A18. Researcher’s applications are usually accepted every month. Applications can be submitted as many times as you like until making a successful one.

Q19. I am residing in an International House/have already made a successful application. Can I apply again?

A19. Researchers who have already made a successful application for residence are not permitted to submit another application. It will be possible for them to reapply after the successful applications are cancelled.
Researchers who are already residing in an International House are also not permitted to submit another application (only one successful application may be submitted per stay).

Q20. Is it possible to specify or change a room?

A20. The International Service Office (KUISO) will allocate rooms to residents on a lottery basis. Once allocated, residents cannot change their allocated accommodation facility or room (applies before or after moving-in).

Q21. In a case that a researcher’s family will come to live in Japan at a later date than a researcher, is it possible to select a family room when applying?

A21. Yes.
If an applicant’s family members will move in to the International House at a later date than the applicant, a family room should be selected at the time of application, because residents cannot change their allocated accommodation facility or room after moving in. In such cases, please inform the International Service Office or House Office in advance regarding the schedule for your family’s arrival. The accommodation fee may be adjusted according to the number of residents. (Note: the minimum accommodation fee for a family room is the fee for two persons.)

Regarding Applications by International Students

Q22. I am already a student at Kyoto University. Am I eligible to apply for accommodation at the International Houses?

A22. Since the number of units in the International Houses is limited, students who will newly enroll at Kyoto University and who have been living in Japan for less than one year are eligible to apply.

Q23. I was hoping for a single room, but I was allocated a couple’s room. What rate will be applied? Is it possible to share the room with someone?

A23. Single students who are allocated a couple’s room must pay the accommodation fee for the couple’s room, even if their original preference was for a single room. Single students occupying a couple’s room are not permitted to share the unit with anyone else.

Regarding Applications for Other Accommodation Options by International Students

Q24. What are other accommodation options?

A24. They are student dormitories that Kyoto Prefectural Government provides for international students attending universities in Kyoto Prefecture. There are two facilities as follows:

  • Kyoto International Student Orientation Center (Satsuki-Dormitory)
  • Kyoto International Student Orientation Center (Mizuki-Dormitory)
Q25. When/How to apply?

A25. Applications are accepted together with the applications for Kyoto University International Houses of international students.

Q26. What is the eligibility?

A26. The eligibility is the same as the eligibility for international students applying for the Kyoto University International Houses.

Q27. Is there any procedure that new residents need to follow before moving in?

A27. Nothing in particular. In principle, procedures will be completed after moving in. Please complete registration of the move-in schedule through the URL provided in the notification of application result at least two weeks before the intended move-in date.

Q28. How to pay the accommodation and other fees?

On the move-in day, residents are required to pay the first month’s rent, the bedding rental fee, and the guarantee fee in cash.
Rent must be paid on a per-month basis. Rent does not include the costs of electricity and bedding rental. Common shower rooms are available at an additional cost. Please refer to the facility information for more details. The method of payment from the second month onwards will vary depending on whether or not the resident opens a Japanese bank account. Enrollment in the Kyoto University Co-op’s Personal Liability Insurance for students and Special clause for persons living alone is required.

Q29. How to enroll in the Co-op's “Personal Liability Insurance for Students” and “Special Clause for Persons Living Alone”?

A29. After you arrive in Japan, you can go through the procedures at the Kyoto University Co-op. You will be informed by the House manager when you move in.

Q30. Is it possible to change the allocated period of residence after moving in?

【Moving Out Early】
Please notify the House Office and submit a move-out notice by the designated date. (Please receive the move-out notice from the manager of your dormitory.)

【Extension of Tenancy】

Other topics

Q1. Where can I obtain information on admission to Kyoto University?

A1. Please refer to the “Study at KU” page of the Kyoto University website:

For further inquiries, please contact the International Education and Student Mobility Division:

Q2. Can you please provide information on scholarship for international students?

A2. Please refer to the “Scholarships” page of the Kyoto University website:

For further inquiries, please contact the international Education and Student Mobility Division:

Q3. Do you provide Japanese language classes for international students?

A3. The Education Center for Japanese Language and Culture in the Kyoto University Institute for Liberal Arts and Sciences provides Japanese language classes for international students coming to Kyoto University.
For reference:

For further reference: “Study at KyotoU” on the Kyoto University website