Re-entry permit/Notification of the accepting organization

Osaka Immigration Office Kyoto Branch
Address 4th floor, Kyoto Daini Chiho Godo Chosha, 34-12 Higashi Marta-cho,
Martamachi-Kawabata Higashi-iru, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8395
Office Hour Monday-Friday : 9:00-12:00、13:00-16:00
(Except national holidays)
TEL 075-752-5997
Residence Card

A Residence Card will be issued to the foreign nationals who have a status of residence with a period of stay of over three months (The Card will not be issued for a Temporary Visitor’s visa or the period of stay is three months).

For foreign nationals arriving at Narita, Haneda, Chubu, Kansai, New Chitose, Hiroshima, and Fukuoka Airports, the Card will be issued after the immigration examination in principle. For those arriving at other airports, the Card will be sent to the registered address after they have done the procedures at the City/Ward Office. Also, in case the extension of stay or the change of residence status is approved, a new residence card will be issued.


All the foreign nationals except for those under 16 are obligated to carry their Residence Card with them at all times.

A special re-entry permit

When foreign nationals with a valid passport and a residence card re-enter Japan within one year of the departure (or by the expiration date of the period of stay if it expires within one year of the departure), they will not be required to apply for a re-entry permit, in principle. You have to check the box on the Embarkation and Disembarkation Card for Reentrant (ED card), and be sure to present the ED card with your residence card at the departure. If you leave Japan with a special re-entry permit, you cannot extend the valid date of the permit in abroad. Therefore, if you re-enter Japan after th expiration date of the period of stay, please extend your visa in Japan.

The Embarkation and Disembarkation Card for Re-entrants (ED card)
(source:The Immigration Bureau)
Re-entry permit

When the period of stay remains more than one year before the expiration date, and you re-enter Japan after more than one year and continue the same activity, you do not have to obtain a new visa as long as you have obtained re-entry permit before leaving Japan.
There are single re-entry and multiple re-entry permission. The validity period of re-entry permit is limited to within a current date of expiration. Please apply for a re-entry permit at the regional immigration bureau.

Required Items
  • Application form
  • Passport
  • Residence Card
  • Processing fee (¥3,000 for single entry; ¥6,000 for multiple entry)

If you leave Japan without “Special re-entry permission” or “Re-entry permission”, you are considered to have relinquished the status of residence that you hold at that time. In this case, you must obtain a new visa before returning to Japan. It may take a considerable period of time to obtain a new visa. In the case of a temporary departure from Japan while enrolled or research at the university, please be sure to obtain “Special re-entry permission” or “Re-entry permission” before leaving Japan.

Notifications Required for Residence Cards

Please note that in the following circumstances, you must notify your local immigration office and follow the necessary procedures:

  • If you lose your residence card due to loss, theft, damage, or any other reason.
  • If your residence card has become noticeably damaged or soiled, or if the data in the IC chip has been damaged.
  • If there has been any change in the name, date of birth, gender, or nationality/region of origin displayed on the residence card. (Not: a change of address requires different procedures.)
Items that Must be Submitted when Making a Report
Where to Submit the Documents

The Regional Immigration Office (or Immigration Information Center) for your area of residence.

Immigration of Bureau of Japan Website: Regional Offices
Important, Please Note: Temporary Withdrawal from University

Foreign-national students in Japan who temporarily withdraw from university and cease all study or research at any education institutions are not permitted to remain in Japan with “student” status of residence. As “student” status of residence is granted only to persons engaged in study or research activities at an educational institution, a student who temporarily withdraws will cease to satisfy the conditions for the status while they are withdrawn. Engaging in part-time work while taking leave from an educational institution is also forbidden.
Students who withdraw from the university must, therefore, either leave Japan before their period of stay expires or change their status of residence to one which is appropriate to the current purpose of their stay and activity in Japan.

Students who continue to stay in Japan with “student” status of residence for more than three months after withdrawing from university are subject to have their status of residence revoked and their application for an extension of stay or change of status of residence may be declined.

If you need to stay in Japan after withdrawing from the university, please consult the Immigration Bureau in advance regarding changing your status of residence.

When returning to the university

When returning to the university after taking a leave of absence, it is necessary to re-obtain a certificate of eligibility for “student” residence status.

The Kyoto University International Service Office will apply for the certificate of eligibility by proxy. Please consult your host professor or the administrative office for your faculty/graduate school as soon as your schedule to return to the university has been decided.

For reference: Proxy Application for a Certificate of Eligibility

Please Note:
If you have taken a leave of absence due to military service, please prepare documents that certify the military service was completed. If the documents are in a language other than English or Japanese, please also provide a brief translation in either English or Japanese.

It usually takes approximately two to three months for a certificate of eligibility to be issued. Please be sure to allow sufficient time to complete the application procedures before your return to the university.

Notification of the accepting organization

The following applies to foreign nationals who are resident in Japan, and who arrived in Japan, changed their status of residence, or extended their period of stay on or after July 9, 2012. If such a person leaves his/her university or organization due to graduation, withdrawal, or resignation etc., or moves to another university or organization due to enrollment, transfer, or employment, they are required to submit notification of the change to the Immigration Bureau within 14 days.
Note: If you leave Japan soon after your activities at the current university or organization are completed, and relinquish your residence card at the port of departure, the notification described above is not required.

Persons who are required to submit the notification

Medium- to long-term residents with one of the following types of status of residence: Professor, Highly Skilled Professional (i) (c), Highly Skilled Professional (ii) (c), Business Manager, Legal/Accounting Services, Medical Services, Instructor, Intercompany Transferee, Technical Intern Training, College Student, or Trainee.

Period of notification

Within 14 days of a change in any of the items mentioned above.

Notification form

The form to submit the notification can be downloaded from the Immigration of Bureau website.

Where and how to submit the notification
  • Take the notification form to the regional immigration office for your area of residence.
  • Send the notification form by post
    Send the notification form together with a copy of your residence card to the notification acceptance desk of the residency management information department of the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau. Be sure to write "Notification Form Enclosed" in red ink on the front of the envelope.
    -Mailing Address-
    Notification Reception Desk
    Residency Management Information Department
    Tokyo Immigration Bureau
    5-5-30 Konan Minatoku
    Tokyo, 108-8255
  • Submit Online
    Notifications can be made online through the Immigration Bureau e-Notification System .
    Please note that user registration is required in order to use the system.