Work permit

Foreign nationals who are resident in Japan with “Student,” “Cultural Activities,” or “Dependent” status of residence are not permitted to work. Only students who need supplemental income to pay for their education and living expenses will be granted a permit to engage in part-time work (officially titled “Permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted”). Those who work without obtaining this permit will be subject to punishment, and possible deportation from Japan. Please be sure to obtain the permit before engaging in any work.
The permit is also required by students who receive compensation from the university for a period of work. However, a permit is not necessary for teaching assistants (TA) or research assistants (RA) who work to support the university’s education and research activities, and for tutors to support new international students in Kyoto University.

Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted

Work Permit


For Those with “Student” or “Dependent” Status of Residence
(Comprehensive Permit)
  • The application for the work permit can be made before the place or type of work have been determined.
  • Re-application is not required if the place of work is changed.
  • Working hours are limited to up to 28 hours per week.
  • Persons with “Student” status of residence can work for up to eight hours per day during long vacation periods established in the university’s academic calendar. (Please note, however, that under the Labor Standards Act of Japan, it is forbidden for students to work for more 40 hours per week.)
  • It is forbidden for students on a leave of absence from the university to engage in part-time work.
For Those with “Cultural Activity” Status of Residence
(Limited Permit)
  • The application must be made after both the workplace and type of work have been fixed.
    Note: the work must comply with the conditions for activities permitted under “Cultural Activity” status of residence. For example, restaurant work, etc. is not permitted, but work as a laboratory assistant or university office staff is permitted.
  • An application must be re-submitted each time the place of work is changed.
  • The permitted working hours are decided separately for each individual application.
Required Documents
Application Procedures
  • Download the application form of the work permit and complete the form as shown in the example .
  • Submit the completed application form to the Immigration Bureau. You also need to show the passport and the residence card (or the alien registration card). Office Hours will be from Monday to Friday, 9:00-12:00, 13:00-16:00.
  • In principle, a permit will be issued on the day you submit the application. It may, however, be issued at a later date.
  • All “College Students” who are permitted to work will be able to engage in work activities for up to and not exceeding 28 hours per week. (During university holidays, you may work for up to and not exceeding 8 hours per day.)
  • If you are on a leave of absence from the university, you are not allowed to have a part-time job.
Other Information
  • Only those who live in Kyoto Prefecture can apply for the Permit at the Kyoto Branch Office of the Immigration Bureau. Other students must apply for the permit at their appropriate immigration office.
  • If you are a new international student (except for those who have length of visa for 3 months), you can apply for a Work Permit at the port of entry, in principle.
  • A work permit will expire on the same day of the applicant’s permitted period of stay. You can apply for extending your visa three months before its expiration date. If you are planning to continue studying at Kyoto University and working part-time, we recommend you to apply for it as early as possible. You can apply for a Work Permit and Extension of the Period of Residence simultaneously at the Osaka Regional Immigration Bureau or its branch office at Kyoto.