Residence Card, Special Re-entry system

Osaka Immigration Office Kyoto Branch

Address4th floor, Kyoto Daini Chiho Godo Chosha, 34-12 Higashi Marta-cho,
Martamachi-Kawabata Higashi-iru, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8395
Office HourMonday-Friday : 9:00-12:00、13:00-16:00 (Except national holidays)
Im kyoto map

Residence Card

A Residence Card will be issued to the foreign nationals who have a status of residence with a period of stay of over three months (The Card will not be issued for a Temporary Visitor’s visa or the period of stay is three months).

For foreign nationals arriving at Narita, Haneda, Chubu, Kansai, New Chitose, Hiroshima, and Fukuoka Airports, the Card will be issued after the immigration examination in principle. For those arriving at other airports, the Card will be sent to the registered address after they have done the procedures at the City/Ward Office. Also, in case the extension of stay or the change of residence status is approved, a new residence card will be issued. 


All the foreign nationals except for those under 16 are obligated to carry their Residence Card with them at all times.

A special re-entry permit

When foreign nationals with a valid passport and a residence card re-enter Japan within one year of the departure (or by the expiration date of the period of stay if it expires within one year of the departure), they will not be required to apply for a re-entry permit, in principle. You have to check the box on the Embarkation and Disembarkation Card for Reentrant (ED card), and be sure to present the ED card with your residence card at the departure. If you leave Japan with a special re-entry permit, you cannot extend the valid date of the permit in abroad. Therefore, if you re-enter Japan after th expiration date of the period of stay, please extend your visa in Japan.

  • The Embarkation and Disembarkation Card for Re-entrants (ED card) (source:The Immigration Bureau)
  • Re-entry permit

    When the period of stay remains more than one year before the expiration date, and you re-enter Japan after more than one year and continue the same activity, you do not have to obtain a new visa as long as you have obtained re-entry permit before leaving Japan.
    There are single re-entry and multiple re-entry permission. The validity period of re-entry permit is limited to within a current date of expiration. Please apply for a re-entry permit at the regional immigration bureau.

    Required Items
    1. Application from
    2. Passport
    3. Residence Card
    4. Processing fee (¥3,000 for single entry; ¥6,000 for multiple entry)