Work Permit

In order to work part-time in Japan, foreign nationals with the status of residence “Student” or “Dependent” must first get a permit from the immigration office in your region. You must start your part-time job after you get a permit.
A permit is not necessary for teaching assistant (TA) or research assistant (RA) which supports education and research activities in Kyoto University.

Required Documents

  1. Application From (issued by the Immigration Bureau)
  2. Passport
  3. Residence Card

Application Procedures

  1. Download the application form of the work permit and complete the form as shown in the example.
  2. Submit the completed application form to the Immigration Bureau. You also need to show the passport and the residence card (or the alien registration card). Office Hours will be from Monday to Friday, 9:00-12:00, 13:00-16:00.
  3. In principle, a permit will be issued on the day you submit the application. It may, however, be issued at a later date.


  1. All “College Students” who are permitted to work will be able to engage in work activities for up to and not exceeding 28 hours per week. (During university holidays, you may work for up to and not exceeding 8 hours per day.)
  2. If you are on a leave of absence from the university, you are not allowed to have a part-time job.

Other Information

  1. Only those who live in Kyoto Prefecture can apply for the Permit at the Kyoto Branch Office of the Immigration Bureau. Other students must apply for the permit at their appropriate immigration office.
  2. If you are a new international student (except for those who have length of visa for 3 months), you can apply for a Work Permit at the port of entry, in principle.
  3. A work permit will expire on the same day of the applicant’s permitted period of stay. You can apply for extending your visa three months before its expiration date. If you are planning to continue studying at Kyoto University and working part-time, we recommend you to apply for it as early as possible. You can apply for a Work Permit and Extension of the Period of Residence simultaneously at the Osaka Regional Immigration Bureau or its branch office at Kyoto.