Applying for a Certificate of Eligibility through the Online Application System (Kyoto University Intranet)
Kyoto University’s International Service Office will apply for a Certificate of Eligibility for international researchers, students, and their family members if requested to do so by their host professor or the appropriate staff member in their department of affiliation.
- In the case of an exchange student from a partner institution, the International Education and Student Mobility Division will make the application on the student’s behalf (E-mail: email@example.com).
- International Japanese Government (MEXT) scholarship students do not need to apply for the Certificate of Eligibility, and may apply for their student visa without one. Students should contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate General in their home country to inquire about the student visa application.
1. Persons Eligible to Apply
- International researchers, students (including research students), and faculty members employed at Kyoto University, and their spouses and children.
- Types of Status of Residence that may be applied for through the Kyoto University International Service Office:
- Cultural Activities
- Dependent (for the spouse or children of those authorized to reside in Japan under the status of “professor,” “cultural activities,” or “student”)
* The family’s application should be made at the same time as that of the researcher or student.
* Parents and siblings of researchers or students are not eligible for “dependent” status.
2. How to Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility through the Online Application System
To apply for a Certificate of Eligibility, log in to the online application system as described below and enter the required information.
A certificate of enrollment or acceptance issued by the university is required to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility. Please upload the student or researcher’s certificate of enrollment or acceptance to the system. If they have not been issued with a certificate of enrollment or acceptance, they must ask the administrative office of their faculty or department of affiliation to issue one.
The online application system can only be used by faculty and staff members. International researchers and students must ask their host professor or the appropriate staff member in their department of affiliation to complete the process on their behalf.
3. When to Apply
Applications should be made via the Kyoto University International Service Office approximately three months before the student or researcher is scheduled to arrive in Japan.International Service Office will do its best to process late applications. However, please be aware that the time required for the Immigration Bureau to issue the certificates can vary, and if a student or researcher’s Certificate of Eligibility is delayed, then they may not be able to enter Japan on their planned date of arrival.
For further information, please contact the International Service Office.
4. Flow Chart for the Online Application System for Certificate of Eligibility
- A host professor or staff member in the administrative office of enrollment logs into the web application system and ask the administrative office of Kyoto University to issue the certificate of acceptance or enrollement.
- Kyoto University International Service Office notifies the Web Application URL to the applicant by e-mail.
- An applicant completes the Web Application.
- Kyoto University arranges all application documents and files them to the Immigration Bureau. (about 1 month later)
- After the certificate of eligibility is issued, Kyoto University International Service Office will send it to the applicant by courier service.
- An applicant goes to the Japanese Embassy/Consulate in his/her country with the certificate of eligibility to obtain a visa. (about a few days – 1 week later)
- A visa is issued